Monday, April 8, 2013

Crispy Quinoa Bake

I have recently added a new grain to my kitchen... quinoa! I have heard more and more recipes containing quinoa and how "good it was for you", that I did my own little research before I attempted my first few recipes. And boy was I excited once I learned all the many benefits that quinoa has to offer our bodies :)
In summary I've learned these significant facts about the grain:
~Quinoa is gluten free and very rich with nutrients
~Quinoa contains much more protein and "good" fat compared to any other grain such as rice, noodles, wheat, etc.
~Quinoa has natural anti-inflammatory properties and rich in antioxidants
~Quinoa is also high in fiber, therefore easily digestible
~Quinoa can be sold pre-packaged or in bulk and is EASY to prepare!

So why not add this key grain to our diets?! YES PLEASE! My dear sister-in-law Sara was actually one of the first to introduce me to this phenom. And here is a recipe she shared with me, that was absolutely delicious and a must try.

CRISPY QUINOA BAKE
 Ingredients:
1 c. quinoa
1 T + 2 t olive oil
2 c chicken stock (see previous post on how to make your own)
1 c. onion, diced
1/2 green pepper, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 c. zucchini, cubed (2 small)
1 15oz can black beans, rinsed
1 4oz can diced green chiles (optional)
1 28oz can diced tomatoes
1 c. frozen corn
1/2 t cumin
1 t oregano
1 t chili powder
1/2 lime, juice
2c. sharp cheddar cheese

Directions:
-preheat oven 375 degrees
-grease 9 x 13 baking dish
-rinse quinoa with cool water for 2 minutes
-in a medium saucepan, heat 2 t of olive oil on medium-high heat
-add quinoa and cook, stirring for 1 min, it should cry out and start to pop
-add chicken stock, stir and bring to a boil... then turn the heat to low, cooking covered for 15 minutes
-remove and let stand covered for another 5 mins
~meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat 1 T of olive oil over medium heat.
-add onions, peppers, and cook. Stir until soft (approx 7 mins)
-add garlic and zucchini and cook another 3 mins
~Fluff the quinoa with a fork, and place in a large bowl
-add onion mix, beans, chiles, tomatoes, corn, cumin, oregano, chili powder, and lime juice and mix thoroughly
-transfer to a baking dish and bake for 30 mins.
-top with cheese and bake an additional 10 mins, until cheese is melted. 
ENJOY!

:) comments/modifcations/suggestions always appreciated!

No comments:

Post a Comment