Wednesday, March 13, 2013

the most DELICIOUS GF Chicken Enchiladas

As I was racking my brain on what to make for dinner Tuesday night... I knew I didn't feel like cooking any meat so I searched my freezer for leftovers. I had some leftover shredded chicken, 2 cups, from our burrito bowls last week (consisted of chicken/homemade broth/fresh salsa/black beans in crockpot), and about a half cup of leftover italian shredded chicken from a few weeks prior (consisted of chicken/homemade broth/homemade cream of chicken soup and cream cheese) . Hmmm... interesting combo, but why not try mixing the two together for enchiladas! 
So I found a delicious gluten free recipe online and began to modify it to make it organic/soy free/gluten free, yet flavorful!
First off... I needed the base... enchilada sauce. I have never made my own before but why not, so easy and this way you can control the ingredients. :)

 Enchilada Sauce Recipe
~ingredients:
1 Tbsp coconut oil
1 small onion- diced
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp cumin
3-4 garlic cloves, minced
1 28oz can organic crushed tomatoes
1 tsp sugar/stevia
1 splash of balsamic vinegar
2 tsp of dried cilantro

Directions: 
sautee the onion, chili powder and cumin for about 5 minutes. Add garlic, tomatoes, sugar, vinegar and cilantro and stir. Simmer for 15-20 mins. WAHLAH!

Now if you don't have leftover chicken for the enchiladas like I did, simply cube up and cook some organic chicken, then mix with 3/4 cup of sour cream, some chopped green chilies. 

You will also need:
olive oil
8-10 corn tortillas
Shredded Cheddar Cheese

Now the remaining RECIPE for the chicken enchiladas:
Directions:

~Spread some olive oil on a 9 x 13 glass dish and add a thin layer of enchilada sauce on the bottom. 
~Heat up each corn tortilla before you stuff it, with some olive/coconut oil in a pan. Then stuff with chicken, some shredded cheese, and a bit of sauce. Fold, set in dish, and cover with some more enchilada sauce and shredded cheddar cheese. Continue until you are out, and then cover the whole dish with the remaining enchilada sauce, top with a bit more cheese... and bake for 20 mins in the oven (350 degrees).

ENJOY! :) They were seriously the best enchiladas I've made to date. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment